What Is Progress Pulse?
Progress Pulse is a cloud-based tool for classroom response. Teachers use Progress Pulse to ask their students questions quickly and easily, in order to:
- Engage the students.
- Assess the students' understanding of material.
- Gauge students' reactions and opinions of class material.
Teachers ask questions verbally or present the questions to students outside the program (perhaps on a whiteboard or overhead projector). Progress Pulse does not display your questions.
Progress Pulse can be used with any web-enabled device (such as a mobile phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer).
For more information, see the Progress Pulse On-Demand Session.
How to Use Progress Pulse
- Have your students log in. (Click here if you're not sure how to find students' user names and passwords.)
- Once the students are logged in, have them select Join Class Session.
- Select the type of question you want to ask: True or False, Multiple Choice, Numeric Response, Short Answer, or Opinion.
- Ask your question.
- Have your students respond.
You will see:
- The number of participants connected
- The percentage of participants who have responded
- The number of students who have not responded (awaiting responses)
- The responses from the students (The number of responses is shown beside the response icon .)
- Now, you can do one of the following:
- You can choose the correct answer to wrap up the question (or your opinion for Opinion questions). Students will see the correct answer you choose and their own response (not other students' answers). You will go back to the main screen, where you can choose to ask another type of question.
- You can select Clear Response to clear all students' answers. Students can then answer again, or you can ask another question of the same type.
- Select Back to go back to the main screen.
- To end the session and return to Renaissance Place, select Exit.
If you are still on a question type page, first select Back. Then, select Exit.
When you exit Progress Pulse, students are returned to the student Home page.
Numeric response and short answer questions have character limits.
- Numeric Response: Ten (10) numbers (no letters, symbols, or spaces). Students can enter a decimal point and/or negative numbers.
- Short Answer: Thirty (30) alphanumeric characters, including symbols and spaces.
- Some teachers can't get into Progress Pulse.
Only teachers who are assigned to a current Renaissance Place class with students enrolled can use Progress Pulse. Have your Renaissance Place administrator check the teacher's classes. (Note that administrators do not have access to Progress Pulse themselves.)
- When students select Progress Pulse, they see this message: "Ask your teacher to start Progress Pulse."
You have not started a Progress Pulse session, or the student selected Progress Pulse before your session started. Have the student try again after you start the session.
- My students are not seeing the correct response page or question.
The student and teacher should each select the teacher icon at the bottom of the screen to verify that they have the correct class selected. You should see a course name, a class name, and a teacher name.
If the wrong class is selected, select Start Over. (Note that if a teacher selects Start Over, any students connected to that session are returned to the Home page.)